In this post, you’ll see how to make top-rated cream puffs from scratch. One easy twist is using vanilla pudding mix for the filling. Vanilla pudding makes the easy creamy center for this impressive dessert. The puffs are elegant and your guests will love them.
Shortening (or Butter): 1/2 cup
All-purpose flour: 1 cup
Vanilla pudding mix : 2 (3.5 ounce) packages
Heavy cream : 2 cups (you can also use coconut milk, soy milk, or rice milk )
Eggs: 4 pieces
Water : 1 cup
Salt : 1/4 teaspoon
Milk : 1 cup
For the custard:
- In a small saucepan, mix together the cream and instant vanilla pudding. Stir in milk, a little at a time, until fully combined.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator.
For the pastry:
- In a medium saucepan, combine shortening and water and bring to a boil. Sift together 1 cup flour and a pinch of salt and pour all at once into boiling mixture. Stir until mixture forms a ball.
- Remove from heat, and add eggs, one at a time, stirring vigorously after each addition. Drop by spoonfuls onto baking sheet, or pipe into desired shape.
- Bake 10 minutes in the preheated oven, then reduce heat to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) and bake 25 minutes more, or until golden. Cool completely.
Split the bread in half and fill with custard, or use a pastry bag to pipe the pudding, then place the half back on top.