Pininyahang Manok (Tagalog), Gang Ped Gai Sapparot (Thai), or Chicken with Pineapple is a dish made out of chicken that is marinated in pineapple juice then cooked together with pineapple and other vegetables such as capsicum, carrots and onions. In Philippines there are 3 main variations of this dish and they vary on the sauce used, one is using chicken stock as a base, another variation is using coconut milk and the last one is using evaporated milk.
Regardless of the version this dish one of Philippines and Thailand’s wonderful casserole dishes (can be cooked also sans casserole) and it is best enjoyed with steaming hot rice. Try it now!
Chicken : 1 kilogram legs and/or thighs
Red capsicum : 2 pieces, sliced
Pineapple chunks : 1 1/2 cups
Pineapple juice : 1 cup
Chicken stock : 1 cup
Coconut milk : 2 cups
Ginger : 1/2 thumb sized, minced
Onion : 1 chopped
Garlic : 4 cloves, minced
Cornstarch : 2 teaspoon dissolved in 1/4 cup water
Freshly ground black pepper
- Marinate chicken pieces in 1/2 cup pineapple juice, salt and black pepper for at least 12 hours.
- Remove chicken from marinate then pat each chicken pieces dry.
- In a wok add oil and evenly brown chicken pieces, remove from wok then set aside
- Sauté ginger, garlic and onions, then add the chicken pieces. Stir fry for a minute then pour in the chicken stock, coconut milk and remaining pineapple. Bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the cornstarch mixture, pineapples and capsicum then simmer for 5 more minutes. Season with fish sauce and pepper.