Salty and Spicy Pepper Squid is a Chinese dish that is made out of squid, seasoned in flour with pepper and salt, deep fried, as simple as that. It is a crunchy and simple recipe that everybody can try at home. This is suitable for summer served with fresh vegetable salad.
You can also substitute the squid with prawns.
Follow these instructions and start feeling Chinese as you make these flavourful squid:
2 lbs squid, cleaned
4 tablespoons sea salt
2 tablespoon peppercorns, dry-roasted and crushed
4 cups vegetable oil
8 leaves lettuce, chilled
4 teaspoons hot chili powder
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup of ice water
- Rinse and dry the squid thoroughly.
- Cut each squid tube horizontally into ½ inch rings or into criss-cross diamond pattern. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir egg into the ice water. Mix in the flour with the chili powder, sea salt and peppercorns to form thick, lumpy batter.
- Add the squid and toss to coat, shaking off any excess batter.
- Place the wok over a high heat; fill a wok with oil to about a third full (about 2 cups) and heat until the oil starts to shimmer slightly.
- Add half the squid and deep-fry it for a minute, or until it’s just tender and beginning to have color.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain well on kitchen paper.
- Repeat the process with the remaining squid.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves on a platter and top with the squid. Serve garnished with green onion, pepper, and lemon wedges.
- You can also serve this with your preferred mayonnaise or dressing.
To make it a bit spicy, try making chili dressing.
- To make the chilli dressing:
- Pound the roasted dried chilli in a mortar and pestle (or food processor).
- Add the palm sugar.
- Add the lime juice and the fish sauce.
- Mix well.
You can also serve this with a salad; one good salad is cucumber salad.
- In a bowl, mix in cucumber, tomato, mint and onion.
- And then add vinegar and a little bit oil.
- Mix to blend the flavor.