Sopas is one of the most popular soups in the Philippines. I think this is considered as the Filipino version of Chicken Noodle Soup. Sopas uses shredded chicken together with hotdogs and sometimes luncheon meat; it has milk that makes it different. This creamy chicken soup is best eaten when you’re not feeling well or when the weather is cold, most of the time during the rainy season.
Let’s start cooking!
2 piece breast chicken
1 cup sausages chopped
1 cup bony chicken parts (such as neck)
3 cups uncooked macaroni pasta (elbow or shell)
1 medium can evaporated milk
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp butter
1 piece chicken bouillon cube
3-4 cups water
3 pieces regular hot dogs or luncheon meat, sliced
1 piece small head cabbage, chopped into small pieces
2 pieces medium sized onions, minced
1 piece medium sized carrot, cut into strips
a dash of salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken, pepper, water, salt, and bouillon cube in a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat once boiling. Simmer for 30-45 minutes. Remove breast chicken and set aside. Simmer for another 30-45 minutes. This will serve as the chicken broth.
- Allow the breast chicken to cool and then debone and shred. Set aside.
- In another pan, melt butter in oil, in medium heat. Sauté garlic and onion. Add the sausages and the chicken meat and cook for about 5 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Remove the chicken bones from the broth.
- Pour the broth to the sausage mixture. Simmer until it boils.
- Check if the water hasn’t dried up, add more if needed.
- Pour-in water and milk and wait to re-boil. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add carrot and macaroni pasta. Cook until almost al dente (cooked but still firm).
- Add cabbage. Simmer for another 5 minutes or until both the pasta and the vegetables are done.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat. Pour some milk before serving.
- Serve hot. Share and enjoy!
You can eat this creamy macaroni soup during snack time or actually, any time of the day.